The Foodist: Provencal Toast with Egg
A seriously great way to start the day, a hearty Provencal Toast with Egg breakfast! We’ve talked about peas porridge before and if features here as well – with a twist! a freshly poached duck egg on top!
The hearty whole wheat or multi grain toast (toasted crispy with butter) the peas porridge spread and creamed and a rich duck egg poached to perfection. great for breakfast or dinner served with a wilted spinach salad and walnuts with feta cheese. you can even plate everything with a culinary ring to really impress your friends!
- 1/1 ratio of peas to water
- or chicken or vegetable broth
- sprig of mint, minced
- 4 Tbsp butter (use heavy whipping cream and make your own butter!)
- 4 Tbsp flour
- 1 cup milk or cream (reserve 1/2 cup of heavy whipping cream and mix with 1/2 cup milk)
- salt/pepper to taste
- Tbsp caraway seeds or 1tsp ground
- Mint or Parsley for garnish
- 4 duck eggs
- 4 pieces of multigrain bread
- Butter for toast
- In a dutch oven, prepare split peas with an equal measure of vegetable or chicken stock. Bring the broth and peas to a boil. Reduce heat. Add mint. Cook for 30 minutes.
- Add milk. Roll butter into a walnut sized ball. Roll butter in flour and pepper. Add butter/flour ball to soup. Increase heat for 15 minutes until milk, butter softened peas start to gel. Cook for another 15 minutes or until done.
- Preheat oven to 350F. Place the dutch oven (covered) into the oven for 30 minutes.
- For best results, chill the peas porridge overnight.
Poached Duck Eggs
- In a bowl fill the bowl with hot tap water. Add tsp of vinegar to the bowl. Crack one duck egg into the bowl of water.
- Place the bowl into a microwave. Heat the egg for 2:00 at 50% power. Check the white for solid firmness.
- Repeat until all eggs are poached.
- Alternative poach all eggs in a pan of vinegar water.
- Toast four pieces of bread to a crisp. Add a pat of butter. For a finer presentation, cut the toast into a clean circle.
- Spread the porridge (warmed) atop the toast. For a finer presentation use a food ring and pack the porridge in.
- Place a poached egg atop the toast and porridge.