The Foodist: Cranberry, Apple, and Brandy Compote
This Cranberry, Apple, and Brandy Compote is an annual favorite at Mezzacello. It is tangy, delicious, wildly adaptable. Add it to bean soup, turkey sandwiches, or even homemade gelato. It shines! I make twice as much as I need every time because it is so easy and practical to make.
Gather the FIVE ingredients. I admire Jamie Oliver, but this recipe doesn’t come from him, but you should look at his work! Pour those five ingredients into a cast iron pan and bake! Voila! There is nothing easier. It’s a lot os sugar to be sure, but like all good things it’s best in small doses. Enjoy!
- 2 bags cranberries
- 2 Granny Smith (yes bright green!) apples, peeled, cored and chopped into 2cm chunks
- 2 cups sugar (or 2 sheets gelatin)
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 2 tbs brandy
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- Pour cranberries, apple chunks, sugar, orange juice into a cast iron pan or enamel dutch oven.
- Stir together until everything is well mixed.
- Cook in oven for 40 minutes.
- Let cool.
- It’s delightful hot, but let’s be real, you are never going to eat this hot. It is equally delicious at room temperature.