If you have been following my Urban Ag Tech Summer Camp posts you’ll know that I was set back by an attack of nematodes and centipedes. Well my solution for this was to slowly heat the soil over a period of two weeks under a tightly sealed clear plastic tarp.
After we determined the problem, my camp and I researched the solution. We devised a system for covering the beds with plastic tarp and a system for securing the clear tarp that was more secure than just staples. When I checked the beds at the end of the camp, the soil temps were consistently 55C. I will be pulling the tarps off tonight as my next camp starts tomorrow, 7/12/2021. Stay tuned. I do not see any signs of the indicator species that were VERY present prior to the heat setting.