This summer we had a lot of squash to leverage from the gardens at Mezzacello. Most of it was cubed or turned into noodles, vacuum sealed and stored away in the the freezer. We cut a few zucchini into slices. Rick came up with a fantastic roasted zucchini oregano and parmesan chips.
Rick peeled a zucchini from the root cellar, sliced it drizzled it with oregano-infused olive oil (learn more here), garlic powder and covered it with Parmesan, a little salt and fresh cracked pepper and I will be damned if it wasn’t the most delicious thing ever! This is super easy and delicious! You can add this to a meal as a side dish or mix up an marinara and spread across or place these chips on a tortilla and broil them into a tart. This is a great way to extend the joys of summer. If you thaw the zucchini slices, let them thaw on parchment paper, not paper towels. You want some of the moisture to remain in the chips.
- 1 large peeled zucchini sliced into 1/4″ slices
- 1/4 cup oregano infused olive oil (substitute 1 teaspoons dried crushed oregano and mix into oil)
- 1 Tsp garlic salt
- 2 cups shredded dry parmesan cheese
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 Tsp freshly cracked pepper corns
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Set up a baking sheet with parchment paper liner. Arrange zucchini slices in the pan. One large zucchini will make two to three tray fulls.
- Drizzle some of the oil across the zucchini. salt and add peppercorns. Sprinkle with cheese.
- Place in the oven for five minutes. After five minutes switch to broil setting.
- Broil for 1 to 2 minutes until the cheese starts to brown.
- Remove the chips from the oven and cool.
- Cook the other sheets. Enjoy.