I love creative mash ups! This is a gorgeous savory mashup of creamy pasta carbonara and a fritatta. I found this recipe in Fresh Cooking magazine and since most of the fresh ingredients came from Mezzacello I thought it would be terrific. I was right. It is also very good reheated in a microwave this is a photo of a leftover!
- 2 lbs penne pasta
- 3 beefsteak tomatoes, chopped & seeded
- 1lb thick cut bacon cooked
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 4 basil leaves shredded
- 1/4 cup savory chopped
- 1/2 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 9 duck eggs
- 1 tsp each salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 325F
- In a large pan, bring salted water to boil. Cook pasta to just under al dente. Strain pasta, set aside.
- In a large bowl mix cheese, cream, tomatoes, herbs, salt and pepper, chopped bacon, tomatoes, and mushrooms.
- Crack and whisk duck eggs together. mix egg with cheese, cream, and proteins.
- Fold pasta into the cheese, cream, and egg mixture.
- In a large greased cast iron or frittata pan, pour the contents in And spread around. Sprinkle a small amount of grated Parmesan on top.
- Bake at 350F for 20 minutes.
- Serve as a slice with fresh beefsteak tomato slices drizzled with balsamic vinaigrette.
Serves six people