A savory pie packed full of wild mushrooms, fresh herbs, and parmesan cheese.A savory pie packed full of wild mushrooms, fresh herbs, and parmesan cheese.
FOR THE CRUST:
- 2 1/2 cups (315 grams) all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt 1 cup (226 grams) unsalted butter, cold and cut into cubes
- 1/3 cup (50 grams) parmesan cheese, grated
- 1/2 cup (118 ml) buttermilk, cold
- 1-2 tablespoons vodka or water, cold
FOR THE FILLING:
- 2 tablespoons (28 grams) butter
- 1/2 cup (60 grams) onion, minced
- 1 garlic clove, diced
- 1 lb (450 grams) mixture of shitake, oyster, chantarelle, and/or portabello mushrooms, sliced
- 1 lb (450 grams) cremini or button mushrooms, sliced
- 2 teaspoons coarse salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup (115 ml) heavy cream
- 1/4 cup (30 grams) all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon fresh herbs (rosemary, thyme, and/or sage)
- 1/3 cup (50 grams) parmesan
TO MAKE THE CRUST:
- Combine the flour and salt in a bowl. Add the cubed butter and toss to coat.
- Dump the mixture out onto a clean surface and use a rolling pin to roll the butter into thin sheets, combining it with the flour.
- Use a bench scraper to scrape the rolling pin and to bring the mixture back into a pile as necessary.
- Continue until all of the butter is incorporated into the flour. Mixture will be very flaky.
- Return mixture to the bowl and add the parmesan cheese.
- Place in the freezer for 15 minutes. Remove from freezer and add the buttermilk.
- Use a spoon and then your hands to stir the mixture until it comes together into a ball.
- If mixture is too dry, add the water or vodka a tablespoon at a time.
- Divide the dough in two and flatten into disks.
- Wrap each disk in plastic wrap and chill in the fridge for at least 1 hour and up to 3 days.
TO MAKE THE FILLING:
- Heat the butter in a wide, shallow pan over medium heat.
- Add the onion and cook for a few minutes until translucent, about 3 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook 1 minute more.
- Add the sliced mushrooms and cook until browned, stirring frequently.
- The mushrooms may crowd the pan, but they will shrink as they cook.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- While the mushrooms are cooking, roll out one disk of the pie dough into a rough 13-inch circle on a lightly floured surface.
- Transfer the dough to a 9-inch pie dish.
- In bowl, whisk together the heavy cream, eggs, and flour.
- Add the mushroom mixture, herbs, and cheese and stir to combine.
- Dump mixture into the bottom pie crust.
- Roll out the second dough disk and transfer it to the top of the pie.
- Pinch the two crusts together and tuck into the dish to seal. Cut slits into the crust as vents.
- Brush pie with egg wash. Bake at 350 degrees F until crust is golden brown and juices are bubbling, about 60-75 minutes.
- For best results, let pie cool to room temperature before serving to let the filling thicken properly.
- Store pie in the fridge.
- If desired, reheat pie at 350 degrees F for 30 minutes.