- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 small shallot, minced (about 1 1/2 tablespoons)
- 1 medium garlic clove, minced or pressed through a garlic press (about 1 teaspoon)
- 1 pound frozen baby peas (3 cups) (see note)
- ¼ cup low-sodium chicken broth
- ¼ teaspoon sugar
- ¼ cup minced fresh mint leaves
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 2 teaspoons juice from 1 lemon
- Table salt and ground black pepper
- Do not thaw the peas before cooking. Regular frozen peas can be used in place of baby peas; increase the cooking time in step 2 by 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add the lemon juice right before serving, otherwise the peas will turn brown.
- Heat oil in 12-inch skillet over medium-high heat until shimmering. Add shallot and cook, stirring frequently, until softened, about 2 minutes. Add garlic and cook, stirring frequently, until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Stir in peas, broth, and sugar. Cover and cook until peas are bright green and just heated through, 3 to 5 minutes. Add mint and butter and toss until incorporated. Remove pan from heat; stir in lemon juice. Season with salt and pepper; serve immediately.