Benjamin Franklin once famously quipped: Waste Not, Want Not. We take that to heart here at Mezzacello.
When you come upon an empty dumpster full of grass clippings you take advantage! #DumpsterDiving101. Here is a brief tutorial on how I build hot compost in 15 days.
Recipe for 14 Day Hot Compost:
Yes, this will seems like a lot of steps, and equipment. I am just being thorough.
- Enough biomass to fill (6) 5 gallon buckets.
- Three each of grass clippings and an equal amount of partially rotted leaves or well shredded leaves.
- You don’t actually need 6 one will do as this is about volume, not containers.
- The example in the gallery above filled (2.5) 5 gallon buckets.
- A source of paper (paper bags, news papers, yard bags, etc)
- A source of mineral nutrients
- A gallon of coffee grounds, shredded banana peels, crushed egg shells
- A small bag of blood meal, bone meal, and plant fertilizer
- A collection of ethylene, amylase, sucrose, and ammonia:
- A gallon of ammonia
- A 2liter bottle of cheap NONDIET soda
- A six pack of cheap beer
- A mixer attachment for a hose (or a pitcher)
- A garden hose
- A tarp to lock in moisture
- Start with a piece of land devoid of grass.
- Lay a layer of paper, newspapers, paper bags.
- Dump the first bucket of grass, then the first bucket of leaves.
- Place coffee grounds and banana/eggshell or blood/bone meal.
- Then mix 1cup each of Ammonia, soda, and beer.
- Spray this layer with the ethylene/amylase/ammonia mixture until the mixture in the mixer is 1/3 depleted.
- Layer the second round of grass, leaves, coffee & meals,
- Spray another third.
- Layer grass, leaves, coffee/meals.
- Spray final third.
- Thoroughly soak the pile with water.
- Cover the pile in tarp.
- Do not skip this step. The grass will cook everything if under a tarp.
- Let this sit for 8 days.
- Uncover, mix with a garden fork.
- Spray with ethylene/amylase/ammonia and coat thoroughly.
- Cover for four more days.
- Uncover, mix and let it rest.
- After 14 days it is cooked.