Peas Porridge has been a staple of western culture for centuries. It’s a super well-balanced meal. A bit of dairy, vegetables, grains, protein, good fat. Add a slice of rye with some butter and boom!
- 1/1 ratio of peas to water
- or chicken or vegetable broth
- sprig of mint, minced
- 4 Tbsp butter (use heavy whipping cream and make your own butter!)
- 4 Tbsp flour
- 1 cup milk or cream (reserve 1/2 cup of heavy whipping cream and mix with 1/2 cup milk)
- salt/pepper to taste
- Tbsp caraway seeds or 1tsp ground
- Mint or Parsley for garnish
Add water/broth and peas to a Dutch Oven over medium heat. Bring to boil, reduce heat. Add mint. Cook for 30 minutes.
Add milk. Roll butter into a walnut sized ball. Roll butter in flour and pepper. Add butter/flour ball to soup. Increase heat for 15 minutes until milk, butter softened peas start to gel. Cook for another 15min or until done. Let the soup rest for 15-20 minutes.
Serve hot (or cold) with a sprig of mint or parsley and a flourish of caraway and a slice of rye or pumpernickel bread with butter.
This is a power meal. You can go all day on this meal. It’s delicious hot and cold. Fry it in butter in the morning! Eat it on a winter night! Be your best self with this super simple hearty, and delicious meals!